Transparency and consistency of pricing is an important indicator of a company’s ethics. The structure that a company uses to calculate it’s pricing should be clear from the beginning. You should also be able to get a price quote via email or telephone when you first contact the company and give them the details of your event. Even if a company doesn’t offer “flat rate” pricing, there’s no reason they shouldn’t be able to spend five minutes talking with you and learn everything they need to know to give you an accurate rate. If the company sidesteps your pricing questions by providing a “starting price” or a range, or if the price you receive at your meeting is significantly higher than what you were initially quoted, this should raise a major red flag.
Always make sure to have a contract with the DJ that you hire. It is essential in making sure that you know what you are getting on your special day.A few things to look for in a contract include:
– The name of the DJ that will be at your wedding. You want to make sure that you have the right DJ for your event. There is no DJ that fits every type of event. It is based on what you want to take place, the DJ’s personality, and even the age difference between the DJ and the host.
– The exact cost for your event.
– The start and end times for your event
– What is included in the price that you will pay (i.e. the hours, the equipment type, how many set-ups, etc.)
– The deposit amount, the balance, any overtime or travel fees
– Any requirement the DJ has, such as table, power outlets, tents if outdoors
– A cancellation policy should you need to cancel or change your event
Make sure that your DJ has a back-up plan, such as extra equipment, a back up person to fill in should the DJ themselves become unable to perform at your event, and even a insurance policy should any damage occur from the equipment or someone gets injured.
Meet with the DJ beforehand. You want to make sure that the DJ is presentable and meets your criteria for who you would want to be at your event. You should be able to meet with the DJ before signing any contracts or agreeing to any deals.