So you’re engaged and want to get married. Now what? Well first off, congratulations! Getting married is one of the biggest steps in your life so don’t rush into it. If you truly want to have your dream wedding then plan it wisely and follow these few tips.
1. Make sure that your wedding date gives you enough time to plan everything that you want to plan. Most major vendors for services that you would want, such as venues, caterers, photographers, DJ’s, etc. may not have any availability less than 9-10 months away.
2. Make a list of everything that you want, everything that you must have, and things that are maybes for your special day. This will come in handy when looking for vendors, talking to them and setting a budget to stick to.
3. If it seems too much for you to handle, hire a wedding planner to help you with it. Your wedding should be fun and enjoyable. If you are going to be too busy to plan it and do it all yourself, have a knowledgeable person guide you. After all, this is what they do, they know the ins and outs, the tricks and tips, the things to make sure you spend time and money on, and the things to avoid. You will not regret it in the end. For some amazing planners, visit our Vendors page.
4. Attend bridal shows. You get to see what is out there, what your options are, what is being offered and what is possible when it comes to your wedding. Talk to people, don’t just take a pamphlet and run, talk to them. Pick their brain, throw some ideas out there and see what comes back. A wedding cannot come out of a box and be done, you have to have your touch to it and truly make it yours.
5. Create a wedding binder with the information you receive. From quotes to contact information and conversations that you have had. Some companies, such as the Perfect Wedding Guide have made it even easier for you. On top of their ultra-portable size book, you can keep all your information portable by having it all online. That way you can access it wherever you are without having to carry anything but your cell phone with you.
6. Ask questions. Many people will volunteer information to you, but that does not mean that everything is useful to you. Ask questions of the many wedding professionals you meet and speak with and find out what exactly they can do for you specifically.
7. Sample. Sample. Sample. Look at photos, whether it be for a photographer, a baker, a DJ, a venue, etc. Visit the venues that you are considering and visualize it all. Taste the different cakes from the bakery you are considering. Have a tasting with the caterer of the food you want. Listen to a mix of the DJ or band you are thinking of hiring.
8. Budget. You may want many things, and when planning a wedding, a lot may seem very appealing, but that does not mean that everything is possible financially. Set a budget, know what you can and cannot afford and plan around that. Allow some room for extra spending just in case you want to add something as the day gets closer, but have a layout of what you want to spend on each vendor for your day.
Planning a wedding is no piece of cake. Nothing great and wonderful ever is, but we, as wedding professionals are here to make it all happen for you and help you along the way. If you want some initial direction, please make sure to visit our Preferred Vendors page for some great vendors that can make your wedding day sparkle, and most of all, ENJOY IT!